10 Ways to Use Olive Oil Outside of the Kitchen
Nick’s carries a variety of specialty Greek extra virgin olive oils that are rich in powerful vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. By consuming these products, the health benefits go far beyond what the eye can see, such as reducing the risk of cancer and arthritis, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, and can even help prevent Alzheimer’s. It is proven that Greek olive oil is lower in acidity than other olive oils on the market by a factor of (.4%).
Although olive oil has many health benefits when consumed and is an essential to keep in the kitchen, it can also come in handy in other ways you would never think of. We’ve gathered a list of 10 ways olive oil can help you in your daily life that doesn’t involve pots and pans. Keep a bottle in your cabinet, bathroom, or hall closet to have on hand to use for these tips.
- Moisturize Your Skin: Olive oil serves as a great moisturizer for cracked heels, dry hands and face. Use a few drops of olive oil in your hands and apply it to affected areas for smoother, moisturized skin. Nick’s also carries unscented and scented pure olive oil soap for more delicate skin types.
- Remove Eye Make-up: Make-up removers are often expensive. For a more economical alternative, use a cotton ball or cloth and dip it into the olive oil to remove eye makeup, then wash and rinse with warm water to remove the oil.
- Soothe a Sunburn: Olive oil contains powerful antioxidants that can help the skin heal after being sunburned. Mix a few drops of Mythology Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil with aloe vera or water to hands then massage into skin to prevent peeling and speed up the healing process.
- Deep Condition your Hair: Because olive oil is rich in vitamins K and E, it helps to strengthen and condition hair as well as promote growth. Heat a teaspoon of olive oil then massage it into your scalp and evenly distribute through your hair. Cover with a shower cap or a damp towel for two hours, then wash it out with normal shampoo. One of the top rated olive oils for this mask is Zoe Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which can be found at Nick’s in a 3 Liter.
- Help Get Rid of Lice: Olive oil will help detach nits from hair and aid in slowing the bugs down, enough oil and time left in will also kill the lice. Apply a large amount of oil to the head and cover with a shower cap, then let it sit overnight. Afterwards, comb hair with a fine toothed comb to remove any bugs.
- Loosen Earwax: Having trouble with earwax buildup? Place a few drops of olive oil into your ears before bed, it will help loosen earwax and reduce buildup. Repeat this routine for three nights. This will also help with preventing earwax in the future.
For Your Pets
- Cat Care: Add ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon to your cats food to help prevent hairballs. Because olive oil is full of antioxidants, it’s also great for their immune system, coat and skin. Add Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil to food three times a week.
Around the House
- Polish Furniture: Chemicals can be harmful to some furniture and cleaners can also be expensive. Mix a cup of olive oil with half a cup of lemon juice to polish wooden furniture and keep a shiny finish.
- Silence a Squeaky Door: Apply a few drops of olive oil to a squeaky door to help with the noise.
- Unstick a Zipper: Dealing with a zipper that won’t budge? Use a few drops of olive oil and apply it to the zipper, then ease it unstuck
These aren’t the most conventional uses for olive oil, but it’s amazing all of the things even a few drops could do.
All of the olive oils mentioned we carry in store! Visit us at 2413 Westwood Ave, Richmond, Va to get yours today!